We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

COVID-19 sources of economic help for Teignbridge Residents


Who Can Access it

What is available

How can you access it

Covid-19 Hardship fund

People needing emergency support

Short term financial help with basic essentials, travel costs or utilities. Max grant £200

Complete the form at www.teignbridge.gov.uk/covid19hardshipfund

Council Tax Reduction

People who are unemployed or on a low income

Discount of up to 100% of your council tax charge, depending on your household income and circumstances

Apply at www.teignbridge.gov.uk/ctreduction

Exceptional Hardship Fund

You must either receive Council Tax Reduction or would be other than for recent changes to the Reduction Scheme.

A reduction to your remaining council tax charge

Apply at www.teignbridge.gov.uk/ctdiscretionary

Discretionary Discount

If you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction but are suffering financial hardship or can show your circumstances justify a reduction in council tax.

Reduced Council Tax charge for the year in which you apply.

Apply at www.teignbridge.gov.uk/ctdiscretionary

Universal Credit

If you are on a low income or are out of work, are 18 and over, are under state pension age (or your partner is), you have less that £16,000 capital and live in the UK.

Help with rent and supported incomes depending on circumstances.

Apply online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

This is administered by the Department of Work & Pensions and there is a five week wait, with payment one month in arrears. Tel 0800 3285644

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs and are experiencing financial hardship

Short term help with rent shortfall or help with rent in advance / moving costs

Download an application at www.teignbridge.gov.uk/dhp

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Employees if they are too sick to work, OR if you are self -isolating because of COVID-19 : From 13 March you can now claim SSP. This includes anyone providing care, isolating within the same household.

£94.25 per week SSP paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

To check your sick pay entitlement, you should talk to your employer and see www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay for more information.

HITS Foodbank

THAT Foodbank

Teignbridge Residents

Essential Supplies

HITS 01626 906371 info@hitsfoodbank.org

THAT 01626 437310 thatfoodbank@gmail.com

Citizens Advice

Open to all

Help and Advice


0344 411 1444


National Careers Service

Anyone looking for work and/or wishing to improve their skills

Help and advice on careers, skills assessments, finding training courses and how to get the job you want


Debt Advice

Anyone struggling with Debts

Help and Advice


Can I Claim

Calculator to support working and claiming

Help and Advice